It’s a common problem – you delete a meaningful photo and then realize hours later that you need it again. As soon as the file is gone, your laptop or PC shows an error message telling you the drive is full.
You can try clicking the reset button, but that doesn’t always work. That’s why we have put together this guide on how to get deleted photos back on laptop.
How To Get Deleted Photos Back On Laptop
There are practical ways of getting deleted photos back on your laptop. Here are some ways:
1. Restore From The Windows Recycle Bin
The Windows Recycle Bin allows users to recover files that have been deleted from their hard drives by simply dragging them back into the folder.
Users can also use this tool if they want to move specific files back onto the original location of their computer without having to copy them over again manually.
2. Restore Deleted Photos From A Backup
You can use a recovery tool to get back deleted photos from your laptop. A backup is the best way to protect your data.
However, if you don’t have backups or were deleted by accident, you can restore deleted photos using a recovery tool like Recuva or Photo Recovery Pro.
3. Enable Version History To Recover Deleted Photos In OneDrive
One of the ways to get deleted photos back on a laptop is by enabling version history in OneDrive. In order to do this, go to your OneDrive settings and click on “Account.”
You will then be able to select the account which you want to recover deleted photos from.
Next, click on “Version History” found under the Storage & backup section of your account details page. You can also click your name at the top right corner of any page in OneDrive or from the Settings menu (if available).
When you open up the version history page, a drop-down menu will appear asking if you want to view all versions or just specific revisions within them (as shown below).
Select the “All Versions” option so that all previous versions are saved forever within a cloud storage service like Microsoft Azure storage which helps us recover deleted files when they aren’t backed up locally yet.
4. Use Data Recovery Software To Find Deleted Photos On A Laptop
If you have deleted photos from your laptop, there are several ways to get them back. The first thing to do is try using free data recovery software. This will help you find all the files that have been deleted on your computer and make them available again.
If that doesn’t work, check out our next tip: recover deleted photos from the hard drive.
5. Check If Your Cloud Service Has A Trash Folder
If your cloud service does have a trash folder, you can use this as the place to restore deleted photos. If not, then you will need to use another method.
6. Check The Hidden And Temporary Folders To Restore Deleted Photos On A Laptop
Check the hidden and temporary folders to restore deleted photos on a laptop. When you delete a photo, it is not immediately removed from your computer. Instead, it is stored in the exact location as other files until you clear out those folders.
The hidden and temporary folders are two special locations containing information about recently deleted or modified files.
If you want to recover these lost images, we recommend accessing this area with Windows Explorer (or File Explorer) and copy any files back to their original location. To do so:
- In Windows 10 or 8/8.1, open “File Explorer” by pressing the Win+E keys on your keyboard.
- Click This PC on the left side of the screen.
- Next, click the Computer icon in the upper left corner at the top of the window; A new window will open showing all drives connected directly or via external storage devices connected to the computer via USB port, etc.
- Select one drive where photos were located initially (if any).
- Right-click inside the folder tree structure within the selected drive folder, then select the New > Folder option from the context menu.
- Click the Browse button to set up the path name for the new folder(s) created using the above steps before clicking the OK button. Once done, make choices regarding how many sub-directories should be created under the main parent directory level, called the root level directory. This directory contains all images currently stored thereon, including deleted ones too.
7. Retrieve Deleted Photos Using System Restore Point
System Restore can help restore your computer to an earlier time. You can revert to an earlier state and fix the problem if something goes wrong with your system.
To use System Restore:
- Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > System Configuration (XP) or All Control Panel Items (Vista/Windows 7).
- In the left pane of either interface, open the Action menu by clicking it on either side of the Help me button
- Then select the Show hidden files and folders icon from the top menu bar options that appear at the bottom of the window pane when clicked on the OK button press twice within moments after the first click occurs.
- This action opens a directory tree view window with a list of full details about each folder, including file names associated with each folder location, so they may be viewed while performing tasks.
8. Recover Permanently Deleted Photos Using The CMD Command Prompt
You can recover permanently deleted photos using the CMD command prompt.
Open the command prompt as administrator and type in the following command:
List /s /b *.jpg > list.txt
9. Recover Deleted Photos Using Previous Versions Of Files And Folders In Windows Explorer
Open Windows Explorer on your laptop and go to the deleted photos folder.
Right-click on the folder and select “Restore previous versions.”
Click on the version of the file you want to recover, then click Recover.
10. Using The PhotoRec Data Recovery Tool To Get Back Deleted Pictures On Your Computer
After you download and install PhotoRec, run it. It will start scanning your drive, looking for deleted files.
Click the drive where you want to recover files (it’s best if this is your main drive).
Select the file types you wish to recover (for example, pictures or documents).
Select whether or not you’d like to scan all partitions on the device.
11. Learn How To Restore Your Accidentally Deleted Pictures.
If you have accidentally deleted photos, the best way to recover them is by using the PhotoRec data recovery tool.
This tool can permanently recover deleted images from a hard drive or memory card and retrieve them back into your computer.
To use this software, first, make sure that you know how to use the CMD command prompt in Windows Explorer (explained below).
Then download and install PhotoRec from its official website at https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downloads/. Once installed;
Open it up and touch “Start Scan.”
- After running for some time (it might take up to 20 minutes).
- Click on the “Recover Deleted Files” option under the “File Types” tab.
- Select the next button and choose a location where files are located on your system drive.
- Click the Next button again until everything finishes scanning successfully.
12. Use Backup Software (Optional).
Backup software helps keep your data safe in case something happens, like accidental deletion or power failure at work; it saves copies of all important files so that if anything were lost due to these factors, you could always reaccess those backups later on down the line.
This option isn’t required by law but still goes along well with what we’ve discussed above because it provides extra security against any potential mishaps within your operating system.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Get Back Permanently Deleted Photos From My Computer?
Yes? The sure way is to trust professional photo recovery software.
What Happens To Photos You’ve Deleted
If you delete a photo or video that’s backed up in Google Photos, it will stay in your trash for 60 days.
How Do I Recover Permanently Deleted Photos On Windows 10?
Press the Windows key, enter Windows File Recovery in the search box, and then select Windows File Recovery. When you are prompted to allow the app to make changes to your device, select Yes. You can use two primary modes to recover files: Regular and Extensive.
Can I Get Permanently Deleted Photos Back On Pc?
Yes. Depending on your situation, you should be able to recover deleted photos from your laptop (both Mac and Windows-powered ones) either from the Recycle Bin (Trash) folder, a recent backup or with the help of data recovery software.
What Is The Best Free App To Recover Deleted Photos?
Is It Possible To Recover Permanently Deleted Photos After 30 Days?
Yes, it’s possible, but you need to have a backup of your photos in the cloud or on an external drive.
Can I Permanently Recover Deleted Photos From My Phone?
There is no official way to recover permanently deleted photos, videos, or files if removed from the trash.
You’ll always need a backup service like Google Photos, Google Drive, drive, or any other local backup to recover your deleted data. The backup can be used anytime to access the deleted files and photos.
Where Do Deleted Files Go After You Delete Them?
Pictures are eliminated from your device and cloud storage once permanently deleted. Deleted files are usually sequestered in the Trash (Android) or Recently Deleted (iOS) once you delete them.
How Can I Recover Permanently Deleted Photos Without Backup?
If your pictures are permanently deleted from the Android gallery, the only way to get them back if you don’t have a backup is to use a data recovery tool like FoneDog.
Can Permanently Deleted Photos Be Recovered From Samsung?
All images backed up by Google Photos can be restored without a computer directly from the Android app.
Are Permanently Deleted Photos Gone Forever?
If you want to recover recently deleted pictures, choose the photos, and tap the Restore button. While if the photographs are more than 30 days old, they will be permanently deleted.
Can You Get Permanently Deleted Photos Back On Android?
There is no official way to recover permanently deleted photos, videos, or files if removed from the trash.
Why Do My Pictures Disappear From My Gallery?
Check the Trash in My Files and Gallery.
Then, tap Restore.
Can You Permanently Recover Deleted Photos From Google Photos?
If a deleted photo or video isn’t in the trash, you can’t restore it. You wouldn’t be able to restore a shot if you moved it to the trash more than 60 days ago. This is because you moved it to the trash, then emptied your trash.
How Can I Recover Permanently Deleted Files From An Android Phone?
You can recover your lost files by using the Android Data Recovery tool.
The steps mentioned above are ways to get deleted photos back on your laptop. If one of these steps fails to work, you might need professional help from data recovery software.