How do I get my story told on the news?
- Write Your Press Release. The most critical piece of any press release is the angle.
- Find Local Media Outlets.
- Identify the Right Local Media Contacts.
- Craft Your Email Query (aka Pitch)
- Pitch Your News Story by Email & Follow Up.
- Respond to Journalists.
- Cultivate Relationships With Local Press Contacts.
How do I contact a reporter? Most reporters are on social media and especially Twitter and Linkedin. These two platforms provide a free, but somewhat more time-consuming method of finding press contacts. Take advantage of the search function on these sites, and search for “[keyword] editor” or “[keyword] journalist”.
How do you get something on the news?
- Create a targeted media list. Sometimes it’s best to go big by starting small.
- Find the right reporters. There is likely someone already covering the topic at hand.
- Develop a press kit for reporters and producers.
- Find Your News Hook.
- Plan Ahead.
How do you report a story to news anonymously? Go through SecureDrop.
This service allows encrypted, anonymous documents to be transmitted from sources to journalists. You also can communicate with the journalist, and they with you, by typing a document and sending it. Once the document has been sent, you can reply from within the service.