Data Privacy Day is an international event that occurs annually on January 28th. It is a day to raise awareness about the importance of protecting personal information and promoting the best privacy and data protection practices. The goal is to educate individuals and organizations about the steps they can take to safeguard their personal information and to encourage them to take a more active role in safeguarding their data.
History of Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day was first established in the United States in January 2008 by the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) and the Council of Europe’s data protection supervisor. It was created as an extension of Data Protection Day, celebrated in Europe since 2007. The event was created to raise awareness about the importance of protecting personal information and promote best practices for privacy and data protection.
The day is celebrated globally, and various organizations and governments participate in it by raising awareness of data and security issues and providing education and resources to help individuals, businesses, and organizations better protect personal information.
Ways to Participate in Data Privacy Day
Some ways to participate in the day include:
- Reviewing and updating your privacy settings on social media and other online accounts
- Educating yourself about the types of personal information that are collected about you and how it’s used
- Reviewing and updating your password security
- Being careful about the personal information you share online
- Encourage others to take steps to protect their personal information
- Studying and understanding the privacy policies of the websites and apps you use
- Backing up important files and data
- Disposing of sensitive information securely
Educating others about data privacy and security best practices
In short, this day is a reminder to be more cautious and aware of your digital footprint and to take steps to safeguard your personal information.
How to Learn More
Where can someone get more information or tools for learning about data protection?
Various resources are available to learn about data privacy and protecting personal information. Here are a few places to find more information and tools:
- National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA): The NCSA, one of the organizations that founded this day, provides various resources and tips for staying safe online, including information on data privacy and security.
- Privacy Rights Clearinghouse: This organization provides information and resources on various privacy-related topics, including data privacy and security.
- The official website provides resources, tips, and educational materials to help individuals and organizations protect personal information.
- Government websites: Many websites, such as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in the US, provide data protection and security information and resources.
- Privacy Tools: Many privacy tools are available online to help users encrypt their messages, browse the web anonymously and protect their online identity. Some popular ones are Signal, ProtonMail, Tor, DuckDuckGo, etc.
- Privacy training: Many organizations and businesses offer training programs on data privacy and security. You can check online for any training from well-known providers like the SANS Institute, the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), etc.
Remembering that it’s an ongoing process and keeping yourself updated with the latest security and privacy practices is always good.
The post What is Data Privacy Day? appeared first on ITChronicles.
Leave a Reply